Skip to content

What’s a GreenSpot?

October 7, 2010

First of all, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! What an exciting new adventure for me. To kickoff my blog, I thought I’d share a little about the program that got me started on this path: Columbus GreenSpot. Mayor Coleman started the GreenSpot program in Columbus, Ohio as a way to get residents and businesses in the area to commit to becoming greener, and I was instantly sold. Sign me up!

I realized how easy it was to commit to make a change for the better. For a residence like mine to be eligible for a GreenSpot, commitments are made in three categories: energy conservation, water conservation, and reduce/reuse/recycle. I committed to some things like replacing my incandescent light bulbs with CFLs, turning up my thermostat in summer and down in winter, installing water-saving heads in my faucets and shower, using reusable bags when shopping, and donating unwanted items instead of throwing them away. Choosing the commitments that suited my life were easy and I’ve absolutely enjoyed incorporating them into my daily routines.

The GreenSpot website (www.columbusgreenspot.org) lists all the businesses in the area that have taken the commitments as well. I access the user-friendly directory to find whatever I’m looking for; provided by an eco-conscious, local source. I’ve found everything from salons to maid services, insurance agents to retail stores. More businesses join everyday, so I catch myself checking back a few times a month to see what else I can find.

I think this is a great program to get people involved in greening Columbus. And, if you get a chance to check it out, consider making your home or office a GreenSpot too! It’s sooo easy and it feels good to make a change with such great impacts!

Proud window display of my GreenSpot.

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. November 16, 2010 6:13 PM

light bulbs are good for lighting the home but stay away from incandescent lamps because they generate so much heat .-`

2. January 24, 2011 7:53 PM

.*, I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives useful information *~”

3. Joshua Herald permalink
    February 20, 2011 9:13 PM

Hello,
    We met briefly at Green Drinks. I’m the wheat grass guy. Listen i was surfing around the web tonight and stumbled upon something you may find of interest.

Check It out, let me know what you think and good luck!!

• February 22, 2011 11:00 AM

Very interesting link, Josh. Thank you for sharing. It was great to meet you at Green Drinks too!

• Joshua Herald permalink
        April 29, 2011 2:37 PM

Thank you so much! I know this may sound odd but from the day that you mentioned sustainability, my mind hasn’t stopped looking for improvements in my everyday life. I am also a green spot, i have reduced my monthly KW usage from 909KW to 161KW my electric bill is in the $30 Range now and i don’t miss my excessive waste. I switched over to a low flow shower head and recently began biking to work and recreation. Its amazing how much you miss locked in the seclusion of a car. My biggest adjustment was buying local and learning to cook for myself instead of microwave dinners and fast food. I shop at my local co op for most of my consumables and the contribution to the local economy is great too! I have talked with my neighbor (an older gentleman) who normally has a garden every year. This year he said he is just too old and doesn’t have the energy to work on it. At the time i was looking for a community garden with slim luck so this was perfect. We plan to start tilling in the coming month!! Again, thank you. You really touched someones life with your story here. I’m going to try and do the same by spreading the word of sustainability.

• July 27, 2011 9:11 PM

I think that changing a food habit is often one of the most difficult habits to break. Eating local has so many advantages, but you aren’t alone in your struggles. Keep it up, you sound like you’ve made substantial changes in your life that will improve your life and other. Share your ideas with others and keep the conversation going.

4. May 29, 2012 8:10 PM

Fantastic Stuff, do you have a youtube profile?